|You've done your research into web design firms.
You're ready to arrange meetings with several web designers, but you're not sure about web
hosting. What is web hosting, and what packages does it come in?
Web hosting is the computer where your web site is stored.
When people go to Internet Explorer or Firefox and type
http://www.yourwebsite.com, the browser connects those people to your web site where it
is stored so that they can now view the pages.
Most small business hosting is "shared hosting" - meaning
the disk space is shared with other businesses. The opposite of shared hosting is
"dedicated hosting" - meaning that your business would have your very own computer to run
just your very own web site. Dedicated hosting is a lot more expensive than shared
Today there are so many good web hosting companies that it
usually is pretty pointless to consider having your own dedicated hosting in-house hosting.
There are also many web hosting companies that are "cheap" and don't offer the services
you'll likely need for a professional business web site. Here is a list of services
that a good web hosting company offers:
• First-rate phone support and 24x7 customer service.
• Track record of providing reliable service.
• Resources available for server needs (PHP/MySQL/etc...)
• Very low amount of downtime over a long time span.
• Availability of unique IP addresses.
• Packages that fit the budget for the project.
• Secure Server (SSL) encrypted website protection.
• Serious junk mail Filtering and virus protection at the server level.
• Personalized control of your plan through an account center.
• Access to detailed web stat analyzer tools on your site traffic.
Many hosting companies offer plans online that include all
of the above characteristics.